Sunday, January 13, 2013

Day 9 - Someone I Wish I Could Meet




I first came across Alan Davies when out of sheer boredom I scoured YouTube for something that could have the ability to hold my attention for more than, say, 15 minutes. On that somewhat fateful day, I chanced upon QI: Quite Interesting with Stephen Fry. QI is a British panel show hosted by the wonderful Stephen Fry in which Alan Davies is a permanent panelist. The nature of the show, which awards points for being interesting instead of accurate or relevant seems to bring out what I would simply love about anyone. Here's a video compilation of their ninth season: 


I've watched more than 50 episodes to date and since Alan is a permanent panelist, he's been in all of them! Except for their episode on Divination, where he magically disappears behind a "poof" of smoke and spends the rest of the show answering in a bellowing voice from what is seemingly portrayed as perhaps "another dimension" of sorts (read: audio room). Needless to say, I did not quite enjoy that episode. It sorta reminded me of those days when you go to school and you realise your best friend isn't there. Thankfully, at this instance, I could leave and go home ... by which I mean, skip to the next episode. 


I suppose the nature of the show is one that brings out what's best in individuals like Alan who have more of a knack for being interesting rather than being rather dully intelligent. To put it in a simpler manner, Alan is sort of the class clown who will sometimes pleasantly surprise you with his trivial (non-literal sense)  knowledge on various topics that range from football (strictly British), history, and being a pescetarian; giving "headmaster" Stephen Fry a sometimes-needed reminder that he's not just a pretty face. 

qi, quite interesting

The truth is if Alan was the clown of my class I'd have a big, fat crush on him (already do, actually) because I love everything from his springy curls, silly antics to the impish smile he wears when he surprises Mr. Fry with bouts of trivia. Oh, Alan!

No comments:

Post a Comment